Author Topic: New USMC website?  (Read 1448 times)

Offline Choad

• USMC Commitee '07!
  • Master of bull!!
    • View Profile
New USMC website?
« on: May 04, 2007, 06:08:02 PM »
While i had a spare 2 minutes this afternoon, i though id try and design a new USMC website to replace the old face of this one. non of the links work, this is just a trial page to see if people like the idea of it. and if people do then its up to our new Geek to try and make things happen!

NEW SITE
I fought the wall and the, wall won.

Offline blondie

• Too many posts
  • Not Mr Tinsley
    • View Profile
Re: New USMC website?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 06:42:17 PM »
I don't like the text you used for the USMC Extreme at the top. Other than that it looks good :D

Offline Novelty Matt

• Administrator
  • I need to get out more!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 07:04:38 PM »
Looks good, I can't design for the life of me, but can happily make things look like designs. 

Anyone know what's going on with the union webserver or if we'll need to find our own and if we can get some money out of the union if this is the case?
purveyor of tat...

Offline blondie

• Too many posts
  • Not Mr Tinsley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 07:16:36 PM »
Go into the union tell them that alan roy is crap and therefore we need money to pay for server space else where to put the club website :D

Offline James

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 09:54:08 PM »
looks pretty sweet alf, i like it. You going to get it working in flash or do you want it put into html/css?

Oh and you need to make it fit a 1024x768 resolution as it looks great on a widescreen but is a pain in the ass to read on non-widescreen resolutions.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 10:29:52 PM by James »

Offline nacnud

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 11:02:24 PM »
2nded about the width, I hate scrolling sideways :(
I yam a tetrapod!

Offline Chris K

• USMC Commitee '10!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 02:09:52 AM »
I liked the widescreen. It filled it all.

Offline Novelty Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 08:56:23 AM »
As future web geek I say;

Widescreen is bad, about 2 people in the entire world use it, and it's pretty rubbish; it's easier to use expanding tables then everyone likes everything.

Flash is crap and annoying for entire sites (it relies on people to have plug-ins etc), plus it's a bit OTT and I can't see why it's needed.

This all said Alfie hasn't actually said anything about the above two points, and he's now off being extreme so we won't know/can't abuse him till Monday/Tuesday.
purveyor of tat...

Offline kryten

• Far too much free time!!
  • Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 10:04:37 AM »
I like it

The colors look good together and the overall layout looks good as well.
But in widescreen?

And I would think that most people have flashplayer installed (at least they should have)
Oh, screw down my diodes and call me Frank

Offline James

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007, 11:01:38 AM »
I don't disagree with the layout... It looks fantastic, if we go with that design I can write it in html and css so that it does it on screen proportions.... for non widescreen users it'll be thinner and longer, for widescreen users it'll be wider... and that way no one will need plugins and it'll load faster and use less bandwidth.

Offline Choad

• USMC Commitee '07!
  • Master of bull!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 11:06:19 PM »
For comedy sake, I thought I'd carry on this post from last time the website was updated (look and feel/structure wise) - about 2007.

I had a spare evening or two so, just for fun, I've knocked together a new USMC website which you may (or may not) like to use. It's primarily blog/news based so it'll be a great place to promote forthcoming events and upload pics from recent trips, and generally make the Union/uni think/know it's an awesome club. It'll also have all the current content/Ye Old forum (if you want it) and any other stuff you need.

If you want to use it, I'll carry on knocking it together (and the glory of it is you guys - as in the current club members - can eeeeasily go in edit the content and pages (it's all built on Wordpress, a nice easy content management system). If not, it was fun to make.

You'll also notice I slightly updated the club logo. I made the current one back in 2007 - the one you see before you is actually a first draft i disliked but everybody started using!

Attached is a wee snippet of the homepage. Each of the images/text are automatically generated from the latest news story/picture on that topic:

I fought the wall and the, wall won.

Offline Novelty Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2014, 07:41:59 AM »
Looks good to me
purveyor of tat...

Offline Evil

• Master of bull!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 10:08:54 AM »
Looks good :-) Bored are we??
It wasn't me - it was Blondie!

Offline Stick

• Vicky the nurse
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2014, 02:09:25 PM »
Very swanky, well done alfie

Offline Chris K

• USMC Commitee '10!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2014, 06:02:19 PM »
The best thing about this thread is that none of you owned a widescreen monitor in 2007.

I'm now reading this on a widescreen telephone.

Offline Ali*

• Master of bull!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2014, 08:07:30 PM »
Nice work Alfie :D
Save a Cow (Horse)....Eat a vegetarian ;-)

Offline MegaDave

• USMC Committee '14
  • Far too much free time!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2014, 03:37:47 PM »
Me likey a lot. and that new logo can potentially go on club clothing this year since its a) one colour (saves $) and b) looks slick

have 10 individual non stackable points.

Offline Tinks

• USMC Committee '13
  • Forum addict!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2014, 03:42:14 PM »
Think it looks great!! Really slick and professional, and much clearer. Would also be easier to use more frequently.
Have rolled it out to the current committee for their opinions :)
Veni, Vidi, Ascendi.

Offline Sheldon

• USMC Committee '13
  • USMC Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 04:24:52 PM »
Looks awesome!

Offline RichardN

• USMC Committee '14
  • Master of bull!!
  • Mind like a cesspool, mouth like a drain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2014, 04:42:11 PM »
As long as we're careful to make sure all the useful stuff on the current forum makes it across and we don't loose any forum functionality then great, Would we still be able to restrict access to certain boards? I.E. committee boards? Members only section? Could we bring some of the useful / still relevant threads over? And archive the old shite somewhere?

And also provided it's looked after properly. Otherwise we may aswell stick with this because yes the new one looks prettier but all we ever use the current site for is the forum. Hence you see a now dead trips section, and the now dead emergency contact registration, the calendar is out of date. For example do we really need a news section? Most people hear about things going on like BUCS results from word of mouth and trips / socials are plugged endlessly on facebook and word of mouth. The internet is really not how we recruit members. That's mostly done by flyers on campus, fresher's fayre, people looking for us on Facebook and later being directed here, or just looking on the union website.

In short it looks awesome. Do we really need it? Probably not.

Currently we pay 50 a year I think for the hosting of this website, would the new one be more or less?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 06:53:16 PM by RichardN »
I am Nash, hear me roar