Author Topic: New USMC website?  (Read 1447 times)

Offline Weeman

• USMC Commitee '08!
  • I need to get out more!
  • Rock athlete
    • View Profile
Re: New USMC website?
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2014, 08:42:56 AM »
Presumably the forum compoent of the website would still run on simple machines and it would just be the pretty stuff around the outside that gets updated?
Many donkeys have tried to match wits with me, but almost all have failed.

Offline Novelty Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2014, 08:45:21 AM »
Presumably the forum compoent of the website would still run on simple machines and it would just be the pretty stuff around the outside that gets updated?
You'd expect just a re-skin
purveyor of tat...

Offline RichardN

• USMC Committee '14
  • Master of bull!!
  • Mind like a cesspool, mouth like a drain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2014, 11:06:13 AM »
Does that mean we'd still pay the 60 a year for what we have now?
I am Nash, hear me roar

Offline Novelty Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2014, 11:15:52 AM »
Does that mean we'd still pay the 60 a year for what we have now?
You can migrate away, Alfie might have an alternative host. 

I wouldn't go with wordpress, I'd imagine they won't have any form of uptime guarantee (if they do it wouldn't be worth the virtual paper it's written on), you won't get that for 16 a year, not for the stirage that's currently used.  I'd also be sceptical about backup and restore times -the shit you find out about when things go wrong, which don't normally go wrong and probably won't, but are really bad when they do!  Working in high grade enterprise IT makes you open your eyes a bit.  5 a month isn't really much in the scheme of things....my other favorite addage, you get what you pay for, is in force here.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 11:18:28 AM by Novelty Matt »
purveyor of tat...

Offline MegaDave

• USMC Committee '14
  • Far too much free time!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2014, 11:12:02 AM »
So I've been dicking around with this during my spare time in my lunchbreaks/waiting for analysis runs at work after getting a login off Alfie. Partially just to see how easy it would be to maintain, and to see how it'd work if we did migrate. In short, I like it. Main bits that I've done are
  • Adding more to the about us section, putting in the history stuff Nash found out (coz its interesting), payment details
  • Adding an emergency contact form that works, and would send an email to the club secretary making their life easy
  • some gear colours moved over
  • Generally adding content for funsies.
Obviously its still in a rough and ready format (text isn't always the same font and colour, image sizing, oh the humanity... :( ) but how for/against are people about this?

http://usmc.marketechs.co.uk/

Offline RichardN

• USMC Committee '14
  • Master of bull!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2014, 11:51:34 AM »

I can see limited amounts at work as clearly the USMC is a terrorist cell looking to steal laser death rays to put in space and point at America.... So if this comment is infact invalid then my apologies.

Historically we've always kept USMC bank details in a place only members can see them.

Don't know whether or not that's paranoia or a legit security concern. Might aswell stick with it doing it that way though because it is a good way to bully people into signing up to forum or whatever.

Secondly  photo albums from trips anyone can submit a few photos to could work... Or people might ignore them who knows. I think there was once a club Flickr, which Weeman??? pointed me at once.

One more thing!
Somewhere I can digitise the selection of bullshit books I have to would be good.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 11:55:07 AM by RichardN »
I am Nash, hear me roar

Offline Novelty Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2014, 11:56:24 AM »
I'd say members (vetted) should only be able to upload to albums, letting the world do so is a very bad idea!
purveyor of tat...

Offline RichardN

• USMC Committee '14
  • Master of bull!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2014, 11:58:29 AM »
Yeah good shout.
I am Nash, hear me roar

Offline MegaDave

• USMC Committee '14
  • Far too much free time!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2014, 12:22:43 PM »
The payment details is currently password protected, so unless someone gives you it, you can't get at them (for the reason you mentioned) I don't know how you'd go about making it a members only view thing. Keeping it in the forum might be better, but this makes it more visible (yes I know its not exactly difficult to find, but I'm sure you'll be the first to agree in that people can be a bit special sometimes) 

in terms of the photo album, that could be pretty cool, a club flikr/photobucket/something similar would be good. Alternatively pikey peoples facebook pictures and whack them in a post.

My thinking of how this would work is similar to the website now, where people can only post on the forum, not on the main website.

Offline RichardN

• USMC Committee '14
  • Master of bull!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2014, 12:38:42 PM »
I'm sure you'll be the first to agree in that people can be a bit special sometimes) 

Yeah I think we should keep it as an intelligence test. Anyone who is unable to locate on the forum can't come on trips.

It's like natural selection for trip attendance...
I am Nash, hear me roar