Author Topic: Lessons Learned from Splosh 2014  (Read 540 times)

Offline RichardN

• USMC Committee '14
  • Master of bull!!
  • Mind like a cesspool, mouth like a drain.
    • View Profile
Lessons Learned from Splosh 2014
« on: February 16, 2015, 12:25:49 PM »
It's that time of year again when to aid excitement for Splosh / educate the freshers we must gather pearls of wisdom learnt from Splosh last time out!

• Vinegar is the only way to slow down clifton's drinking!
  • THERE'S A MEGA SAINSBURYS NOW :O  Sainsburys >> Tesco
  • It's worth making sure that all of your cams around a particular size aren't seized before you try to assemble a belay on an E1 at Chair Ladder.... (Alan ;) )
  • Given enough time in close proximity to the Barry twins and you WILL end up in A&E
  • 4-player air hockey at the shit machines in St Ives is the dog's bollocks
  • The Bouldering at Godrevy is tidal......
  • Cornish children are terrifying gobshites
  • Josiah and Seb enjoy taking shits on one another....
  • No one will buy reduced to clear custard tarts off you, you will not make a profit.
  • Cams usually work. But sometimes they don't and you end up being dragged down a steep slope towards the edge if a cliff
  • If you must take a ground fall make sure your belayer is: "a big man, that's for sure"  Minimum Size: Michael.
  • Extrem Boule is best played into the boot of a car
  • Unless it is your car
  • It is possible to make non-ethnic rice (Skill of trips officer dependent)
  • Getting a bus out on the road to go climbing by 10am the day after the meadery will anger the gods and you will be rewarded with a shit load of rain
  • Playing lunge pool can snap cues in half.
  • Clotted cream not used on scone should be put in Coffee, it just takes some serious commitment to stir it in...
  • Locking Nogina in the bus for her security is a flawed plan if you then give the key to someone mercenary enough to sell her to Pete & Julia for beers!
  • The thumb loops on club cams make it really easy and smooth to remove them from you harness and place them. Unless you are Dave "Captain dyspraxia" Robson who will fumble and cock it up, even when not pumped stood on a nice ledge.
Anyone got any other important nuggets? Lessons Learned 2012: http://www.surreyclimbs.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5516.0
Lessons Learned 2013: http://www.surreyclimbs.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5659.0

Co-Author Credits: Michael, Crabb, Joe , James Baz
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 12:52:09 PM by RichardN »
I am Nash, hear me roar

Offline Fat Alan

• Too many posts
    • View Profile
Re: Lessons Learned from Splosh 2014
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 01:17:44 PM »
that last one made me laugh thanks :D
stoopid ankle

Offline Dave

• USMC Commitee '10!
  • Spam lord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 01:23:16 PM »
I would suggest a belayer bigger than Michael in hindsight as he came down the slope too.
"climbing is like masturbation it feels good when you're doing it, but no one wants to hear about it"- Andy Kirkpatrick
"What single thing is the greatest obstacle between you and your climbing? Blank Rock" Leo Houlding

Offline library claire

• USMC Commitee '10!
  • Master of bull!!
  • Purples!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 11:45:01 AM »
Now I want to go to SPLOSH...  :(

Offline Gimp

• Forum addict!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 04:10:21 PM »
The most important lesson that is forgotten every year...... Just cos the weather is a bit naff at the campsite it is Always* nice somewhere in West Cornwall so stop your Faffing and Man Up!

*this nice weather may be in a Tea Shop. But since there isn't one on the campsite my statement stands!
COLIN f.k.a "Gimp"

Former Chairman 1999-2000

1997-1999 UniS Elec Eng - (never pased the 1st Year)
1999-2000 UniS Retail Management (What was I thinking?)
2003-2006 Open Uni GeoSciences Diploma (finally got a bit of Paper!
soon to be Rozza