Author Topic: Need a new front bike light  (Read 1233 times)

Offline Adam W

• Master of bull!!
  • I'm watching you!
    • View Profile
Need a new front bike light
« on: January 16, 2011, 12:30:33 PM »
Hey,

My front bike light is crap, it eats batteries at a rate of 4 a month, dims to almost nothing in cold weather, and don't think it likes the rain either.

Looking to buy a new one, any suggestions?
Find me on:

Offline Weeman

• USMC Commitee '08!
  • I need to get out more!
  • Rock athlete
    • View Profile
Re: Need a new front bike light
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 01:40:04 PM »
For the kind of cycling you do I'd just go on to ebay/amazon and get something cheapish. Cateye are a good make so something by them would be a reasonable bet but they're quite expensive. I'd probably spend up to 10.
Many donkeys have tried to match wits with me, but almost all have failed.

Offline Dave

• USMC Commitee '10!
  • Spam lord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 02:21:41 PM »
Tesco does a tesco value set for 10 for 2 or something. Ask tom or windle they both have them.
"climbing is like masturbation it feels good when you're doing it, but no one wants to hear about it"- Andy Kirkpatrick
"What single thing is the greatest obstacle between you and your climbing? Blank Rock" Leo Houlding

Offline Miller

• USMC Commitee '08!
  • Master of bull!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 04:13:32 PM »
on chainreactioncycles i picked up an epic 5 led cat eye one and it was only 12 quid.

It has that useful flash setting which is very useful for being in traffic and irritating the crap out of the car infront :-)

Offline nacnud

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 10:05:41 PM »
I just use my petzl head torch wrapped round the handlebars
I yam a tetrapod!

Offline marc

• Master of bull!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 10:36:18 PM »
I have one of these... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canyon-Rechargeable-Front-Rear-Light/dp/B001O0EDPI/ref=sr_1_29?s=sports&ie=UTF8
Tis handy that you can just jam it in a mains socket to charge, no faff with cables etc
Wining doesn't always mean being first, winning means you're doing better than you've done before

Offline Fat Alan

• Too many posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 09:46:03 AM »
For the kind of cycling you do I'd just go on to ebay/amazon and get something cheapish. Cateye are a good make so something by them would be a reasonable bet but they're quite expensive. I'd probably spend up to 10.

by 'the kind of cycling' do you mean not going on roads in the dark or rain?
stoopid ankle

Offline Adam W

• Master of bull!!
  • I'm watching you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 11:01:30 AM »
he means commuting on well lit streets. don't need one of these flood lights for dark trails.
Find me on:

Offline Fat Alan

• Too many posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 08:13:46 AM »
if you're on the road in the dark or rain then you need a flood light more than on a trail - trails don't have a cars...
stoopid ankle

Offline Adam W

• Master of bull!!
  • I'm watching you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 10:11:09 AM »
What do you know, you can have a flashing light.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2005/2559/regulation/6/made
Find me on:

Offline marc

• Master of bull!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 12:16:17 PM »
Yep, if you're on a road out of town, it's best to have non-flashing lights though - it's easier for others to judge your speed, distance and direction if they can see you 100% of the time (generally that's not an issue with street lit roads though :) )
Wining doesn't always mean being first, winning means you're doing better than you've done before

Offline Weeman

• USMC Commitee '08!
  • Rock athlete
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 12:21:41 PM »
if you're on the road in the dark or rain then you need a flood light more than on a trail - trails don't have a cars...

I do agree that with dark and rain a flood light is the way. But in Guildford the roads are so well lit that a relatively bright front light is fine. I doubt Adam is going to cycling along single track roads out of town in the dark and pouring rain (why would anyone?). The flood lights for bikes cost an obscene amount of money (upwards of 100) and generally having a good back light is more important anyway.

Offline nick

• USMC Commitee '07!
  • You can keep your hat on....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 12:37:57 PM »
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.30864
cheap but very bright bike light, a few people at work have them and are happy.

I actually bought a regular torch from them as well as batteries, charger and a mount.  the whole lot was about 30 and is ace for commuting, trail riding, using as a normal torch etc...

I'd like to see one of these too, there arent any reviews yet but it seems a very cheap solution and has a head mount too.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.50947

Offline Fat Alan

• Too many posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 12:39:51 PM »

I do agree that with dark and rain a flood light is the way. But in Guildford the roads are so well lit that a relatively bright front light is fine. I doubt Adam is going to cycling along single track roads out of town in the dark and pouring rain (why would anyone?). The flood lights for bikes cost an obscene amount of money (upwards of 100) and generally having a good back light is more important anyway.

the good back light theory doesn't work for junctions, especially roundabouts...

i've had trouble seeing cyclists nr my house cos they have sh:t lights and it's really annoying... using the road is an expensive business and cyclists get it a lot easier than most. compared to the cost of a driving test, mot and insurance is it really so much to ask cyclists to buy decent lights?
stoopid ankle

Offline Weeman

• USMC Commitee '08!
  • Rock athlete
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 12:45:44 PM »
i've had trouble seeing cyclists nr my house cos they have sh:t lights

There's a broad range between terrible lights and mega bling expensive lights. I agree with you, I think there should be a limit on manufacturers making bike lights to meet certain requirements. There's a lot of terrible lights on the market but I don't think you have to spend loads to get a reasonable light (that one that Nick suggested looks good).

Offline Adam W

• Master of bull!!
  • I'm watching you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 01:15:13 PM »

the good back light theory doesn't work for junctions, especially roundabouts...

i've had trouble seeing cyclists nr my house cos they have sh:t lights and it's really annoying... using the road is an expensive business and cyclists get it a lot easier than most. compared to the cost of a driving test, mot and insurance is it really so much to ask cyclists to buy decent lights?

I've had super bright lights, decked out in hi-vis and clear weather and still nearly get run over at roundabouts. Some drivers simply don't pay any attention at roundabouts. I've had the argument from both side now, some cyclists are idiots, but on the other hand even more drivers pay no attention to the road.
Find me on:

Offline nick

• USMC Commitee '07!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 01:39:14 PM »
As for the front/back argument in most cases as long as you ride defensively it is the back that is the most important light.  You should be able to look in front of you and assume the cars there cannot see you then act appropriately.  Constantly looking back and assuming cars behind cannot see you is not cool.  That said I wouldn't leave home without both being decent having had crap lights, then reasonable ones, then good ones. 

This is the back light i always recommend as it is great.  I have one, I bought Jon one, bought my lil bro one, bought hannah one, recommended blondie plus others got one..........
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cateye-tl-ld1100-led-rear-light/

That said if you don't wanna spend too much I'd get one of these, though it's not quite as visible
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/blackburn-mars-40-safety-rear-light/

This is the original set I got for me, jon and my bro.  I paid 50, but have since replaced the front light with a torch one from deal extreme which makes the el530 look like a candle.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cateye-hl-el530-and-tl-ld1100-light-set/

Offline Fat Alan

• Too many posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 02:30:54 PM »
some cyclists are idiots, but on the other hand even more drivers pay no attention to the road.

true, all the more reason to make yourself blindingly obvious ;)
stoopid ankle

Offline Weeman

• USMC Commitee '08!
  • Rock athlete
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 03:04:19 PM »
some cyclists are idiots, but on the other hand even more drivers pay no attention to the road.

true, all the more reason to make yourself blindingly obvious ;)

Very true, I always just assume that all cars are going to drive into me so if they don't it's a bonus :)

Nick, I might have to take a look at your front light some time cause I could do with a new one? What's the battery life like? The spec seems pretty low which is okay as long as it doesn't get worse with time like they often do.

Offline nick

• USMC Commitee '07!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 03:14:26 PM »
which bike light would you like to see?  the cat eye one or the dealextreme one?  I'll try and remember to charge them both and leave them in the car.