Author Topic: Annual Dinner 2016 - Early Bird gets the Worm  (Read 1310 times)

Offline MegaDave

• USMC Committee '14
  • Far too much free time!!
    • View Profile
Annual Dinner 2016 - Early Bird gets the Worm
« on: April 14, 2015, 07:43:10 PM »
Whaddup.

Talking to Clifton & Others and using common sense, the quicker I can find & organise a venue then the cheaper it could potentially work out. The club may need to delve into own funds to pay a deposit but that's something we can deal with when it comes.

SO destinations:

PLACES WE COULD GO TO

SWANAGE
ADVANTAGES: Its day trip-able. There's at least two hotels (this years even asked me and Clifton both pre and post dinner to come back next year, so we've got that going for us). The climbing has both sport and Trad.
DISADVANTAGES: It'll be the third time in a row we go to Swanage... (But we go to cornwall every splosh and font every er, font. a new tradition maybe? who knows)

PORTLAND

ADVANTAGES: Again, Day trip-able. Decent climbing.
DISADVANTAGES - apparently hotels a muchos expensive/ scarce. There's no Trad (A subjective disadvantage depending on your outlook on life)

SOMEWHERE ELSE ENTIRELY

Some pub suggested ideas:
-Avon gorge: Rave up in Briz post din din shennanigans if that's what you're into. Would probably look into hosting the actual dinner at somewhere like a travel lodge/prem inn with a function room ('*Groan* a shitty travel lodge?' I hear you cry? yup. Its a chain, but at least its reliable, and maybe cheaper!)
-Cheddar: Don't know much about this. But there's potential.
-The classic 'Lets do  craggy and the premier inn' joke - on a serious note, by doing this money could be saved in transport & accommodation faff (mainly on the student side) and more money could be spent on the food/venue/DJ. A lot of people also have hangovers that prevent/put them off climbing the second day anyway, so that usually becomes a write off. *Maybe* worth considering?
-INSERT SUGGESTION HERE: Sure why not. I'll look into it.

PLACES WE WON'T/ ARE UNLIKELY TO GO

PEAKS

Not *really* day trip material to some, but the climbing is bomber. Likely to be moved off this list if there's significant protest.

N WALES

No. Just No. Too Far, Likely Shit Weather. No.

CORNWALL

Fuck driving that far. We have Splosh for that. No.

DEVON

Unless anyone has really strong reasons for going to devon, I'm probably not going to consider it

INSERT SUGGESTION HERE

State your destination of hate and why. Convince me to keep our drunk asses away.

Post your thoughts below. All welcome, I'll add/move/remove to the list whilst we discuss, we have a while....

Offline Joe Potter

• USMC Committee '14
    • View Profile
Re: Annual Dinner 2016 - Early Bird gets the Worm
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 08:52:47 PM »
Portland is a bit of a shit'ol in my opinion but that might just my Daarset prejudice leaking through ;)

Offline Stick

• I need to get out more!
  • Vicky the nurse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 10:32:13 PM »
If you are doing portland you want a hotel in Weymouth,  there are loads. Also any does annual dinner need to be day trippable? The weekend cost quite a bit,  get the extra evening free

Offline Ali*

• Master of bull!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 04:31:03 PM »
Dartmoor!  Gower! Pembroke! Yorkshire! Wye Valley!  Symonds Yat!  South Wales!  Bristol (good night out too)!!!  Forest of Dean (symonds yat and a few sandstone crags near by)  South Wales (dinas Rock is amazing)

I realise i have put a few places twice, this is to make you remember them, (Bristol) , There are so many crags everywhere, lets go somewhere special!  and where the club doesn't go much.  As you've pointed out that swanage is daytripable, so we can go on a day.  Where as a bit further away (dartmoor)  would be more fun and feel grand (south wales).  After all it is all about feeling grand on annual dinner (wye valley).
Save a Cow (Horse)....Eat a vegetarian ;-)

Offline Fat Alan

• Too many posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 08:32:07 AM »
i always liked the way annual dinner moved around the country every year for variety.. how about the peak but on the manchester side?

having said that gower would have beach potential :)
stoopid ankle

Offline Chris K

• USMC Commitee '10!
  • I need to get out more!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 05:26:42 PM »
The one in that doubletree hotel in Salford (?) was good - thats not that far..

Offline RichardN

• USMC Committee '14
  • Master of bull!!
  • Mind like a cesspool, mouth like a drain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 09:33:44 PM »
Agree that the day trip thing is bullshit.

Its a climbing trip that merely involves a lot more booze than usual!

That being said I like the Avon gorge so climbing is cool, however cheddar would be good (possibly better) as the Sunday climbing is easier to be sociable , I.e. no big multi pitching
I am Nash, hear me roar

Offline JosiahE

• Club Wannabie!
  • Joe Eye-can't-see ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 10:52:56 AM »
Wye Valley (loads to do there), not sure hotelwise
Bristol is a good idea, wicked place with some awesome climbing. Shouldn't have trouble sorting a nice hotel somewhere.
Gower/pembroke would be awesome! nice location for a piss up with epic climbing

Offline Fat Alan

• Too many posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 04:45:20 PM »
as much as i think it's nice to go further afield to make is more special, bristol would mean we could go dancing all night..
stoopid ankle

Offline Ali*

• Master of bull!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 10:55:27 PM »
as much as i think it's nice to go further afield to make is more special, bristol would mean we could go dancing all night..

AGREED!!! :-)
Save a Cow (Horse)....Eat a vegetarian ;-)

Offline BethBeth

• Bionic Beth
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 11:17:03 AM »
I think Bristol does sound like a good shout, lots of partying and some decent places to climb nearby too  8)

South Wales or Wye Valley might be a good shout if you want to vary Annual Dinner a bit?