Author Topic: The new sports centre  (Read 1450 times)

Offline Novelty Matt

• Administrator
  • I need to get out more!
    • View Profile
The new sports centre
« on: April 02, 2008, 04:05:28 PM »
From what I'd heard of the new amazing bling sports for all centre, there was meant to be a big climbing wall.  Whilst avoiding revision and doing coursework I looked at the plans (play spot the climbing wall);

http://www.surrey.ac.uk/scs/assets/pdf/A1s-11.pdf

It seems we've been almost left out, just like at every new university development (when I say every I mean Hertfordshire as I've been there), probably designed by the same bloke no doubt. 

The wall is a whole 13m long , which they seem to boast about; I had a quick check on craggy and their traverse is 20m just to put things in to perspective.  And thats going to be 13m including any bouldering as far as I can see...I was hoping they'd have designed something like Warwick!

It probably won't affect me too much, but it's due for completion at the end of 2009, so it could affect quite a few of us and who knows how many more people who aren't here yet.
purveyor of tat...

Offline Iccle Eve

• USMC Commitee '05!
    • View Profile
Re: The new sports centre
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 04:13:23 PM »
oklooking at the plans (havent read anyhting) and working on a 1:500 scale (bottom right )
i think the wall is 40m long (and on both sides of the hall), its probably 13m tall (fingers crossed)
40m also looka bout right if youcompare to the swimmign pool

ok i lie i think its about 35m (but this is all off plans)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 04:15:10 PM by small loud gremlin »
My voice isnt loud...it just carries well

"BIG HEAD BIG HEAD BIG HEAD"

im to strong to climb!

dont for a second think i have work to do

Offline Chris K

• USMC Commitee '10!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 04:18:42 PM »
Whys there so many tennis courts?

Offline Novelty Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 04:24:11 PM »
You might be right in the blurb it just says 13m climbing wall.  82m seems to be written everywhere but has no relevance, I'm not an engineer!  In scale it looks about the size of a tennis court plus a bit on the end.  Having just talked to Nick he assured me it's bigger than what we've got but I'm not convinced....
purveyor of tat...

Offline blondie

• Too many posts
  • Not Mr Tinsley
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 04:29:28 PM »
I thought they ment 13m High, has anyone spoken to the people at the vertex? they may of seen proper diagrams and have a better idea of whats happening. Will be very shit if it's only 13m long as I'm guessing the old sports hall with the vertex in will be knocked down once the new place is up and running.

Offline Iccle Eve

• USMC Commitee '05!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 04:31:30 PM »
Well at teh moment we have 1 squash court, plus probably something that (vertical wall wise) is another squash court + traverse, i think we have more, if the squash courts are the things labelled, S1 S2 S3 S4

im to strong to climb!

Offline nick

• USMC Commitee '07!
  • You can keep your hat on....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 04:38:22 PM »
the wall is having a 13m high 'comp' section, though nothing has been finalised.  it is bigger than what we currently have

there are soo many tennis courts as they have blagged definate money to become the new 'centre of excellence' for old-school-crap-tennis, andd so i think the lawn tennis association chipped in a bit too for normal courts so as not to look silly.

Offline Fat Alan

• Too many posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 04:42:00 PM »
matt, you can't really complain that climbers have been left out when we already have the vertex (which is practically free to students) and craggy island in guildford which is pretty big for a town the size of gford...
stoopid ankle

Offline Novelty Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 04:52:16 PM »
matt, you can't really complain that climbers have been left out when we already have the vertex (which is practically free to students) and craggy island in guildford which is pretty big for a town the size of gford...
The gym won't be there (as far as I'm aware they won't have 2 centres) and craggy is a seperate company, that has nothing to do with the club.  Where does the university club meet and recruit new members?  I'm thinking about this from a student point of view (Craggy is far away and expensive), but then it's probably going to be hurrendously expensive so put everyone off any way.
purveyor of tat...

Offline Iccle Eve

• USMC Commitee '05!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 04:56:33 PM »
i don think htey will get rid of the old centre, as there does not appear to be a gym on the new one(or at least i cant find one but that doesnt say a lot)
and they cant not have a gym...can they?

im to strong to climb!

Offline nick

• USMC Commitee '07!
  • You can keep your hat on....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 04:59:27 PM »
they're getting rid of the old one too.... new gym is somewhere.....

Offline Fat Alan

• Too many posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 05:09:21 PM »
guess they want to reclaim the land on campus for academic stuff and shift all the sports offsite...

i'd be surprised if they reduce the capacity of the climbing area tho as it must be pretty profitable per sq m comapred to  a squash court or equivalent. unless the vertex has lost too much business to craggy and is struggling to make money...
stoopid ankle

Offline kiwi

• USMC Commitee '08!
  • Master of bull!!
  • ARAF!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 05:19:34 PM »
new climbing centre will be 13m high. in theory the new centre had to provide the same climbing wall area as the old. from what i've seen this means a relatively narrow space, with 13m high walls on one side and bouldering on the other. There is meant to be a viewing platform above the bouldering wall (the cafe i think?)
the old centre will be demolished
the new centre will have a gym and a 50m pool and many many squash and tennis courts
as far as i am aware the new climbing wall will be run by the old crew with in all likelihood the same deal with the club in terms of a place to meet, climb and introduce new members. though improvements may result in floor managers and an increase in cost.

Offline Jez

• Off to Yosemite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 05:44:01 PM »
Well said andre thats what i had heard.
Cheesehead?! .... Cheesehead!
Jez Wingate . Blogspot

Offline nacnud

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 06:59:16 PM »
The size of the wall don't matter too much, especially if they have to replace area to area. More important is how it is designed, and how it is operated (re-routing etc.). 13 straight up isn't too shabby, especially if there are some decent overhangs in there.

Personally I like plain plywood with lots of places for holds, just like the climbing works, it's cheaper than bencrete type stuff to :)
I yam a tetrapod!

Offline blondie

• Too many posts
  • Not Mr Tinsley
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 07:52:28 PM »
i don think htey will get rid of the old centre, as there does not appear to be a gym on the new one(or at least i cant find one but that doesnt say a lot)
and they cant not have a gym...can they?

I read somewhere that it's going to have 120 station gym so quite a bit bigger than the current one

Offline Novelty Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008, 07:58:26 PM »
Yeah I missed out the pdf which has the upper plan. Aparently it will be a bit bigger, the resistance machines look to take up about the size of a squash court, and the climbing wall should be about the same size as what we gots but higher; I'm just not capable of reading technical drawings.
purveyor of tat...

Offline Rich

• Spam lord!
  • Feeling happy today
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2008, 09:09:19 AM »
It doesnt matter at all what size it is, if it is run by the same people that run it now it will be sh*t. As has been said many times before the only way you will get a decent wall is if someone from the club can arrange to have input in to how it is run. The only people who can run a good climbing wall are climbers!
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...But a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

Offline TafT

• Forum addict!
    • View Profile
    • FaceBookPage
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2008, 10:48:23 AM »
If a number of the club already act as climbing instructors (and a bigger wall would mean more people could be there and more instructors would be needed) then surely some of the club could also pass whatever saftey crap is required to allow them to re-root?  I know that its a big wall but it wouldnt be like the whole thing had to be done every week month, just sections of it now and then. 

Iv no idea what the vertex lets us currently do, but as it is a new facility then you would hope that a chance for some change would be available if we were all sure it would be an improvement. 
My very old Facebook Profile Link Works Still! http://surrey.facebook.com/profile.php?id=36703088

Offline Iccle Eve

• USMC Commitee '05!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2008, 10:57:03 AM »
i think the point is that they should pay for an actual route setter, and properly clean the holds when they do reroute, rather than getting the club to do it.

im to strong to climb!