Author Topic: Cheap port  (Read 263 times)

Offline Novelty Matt

• Administrator
  • I need to get out more!
    • View Profile
Cheap port
« on: November 21, 2008, 12:14:29 PM »
In case anyone has a craving for large quantities of port, Tesco currently have an offer on, which seems quite reasonable.  It is 25% off when you buy 6 bottle of wine, champagne or port, I got some last night, the Taylors first estate reserve is currently on 'offer' at 6.39 a bottle, so with discount it came to 4.80, and Cockburns reserve is 7.28 (5.46), which I don't think is bad for what they are.  Downside, you have to buy 6 bottles; upside, you have 6 bottles to match the others you should own.  A word of warning, as Tesco are the tightest bastards in the world their bottle carriers don't work, the bottom fell out of mine when Hannah looked at it.

If you didn't know port is fortified wine which doesn't taste as alcoholic as it is.  It is the perfect accompaniment to your cheese board, a generic party night or a climbing trip evening.  It can be mixed with Blue to create a cheeky vimto, Al and Charlie are some of the avid enthusiasts of this drink whilst drunk.  Reserve means that its pretty crap in the grand scale of port (it is to port what Smirnoff red is to vodka), but they are trying to make it sound nice, it's pretty palatable though.

Yay for wasted time.
purveyor of tat...

Offline Fat Alan

• Too many posts
    • View Profile
Re: Cheap port
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 12:17:28 PM »
as Tesco are the tightest bastards in the world

that's a bit harsh following the advert for 5 port!

btw i don't think i am a fan of cheeky vimto. in fact i can't remember if i even like it! :lol: altho perhaps i change my tune whilst drunk, eh?
stoopid ankle

Offline James

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 12:25:29 PM »
Anyone want to split with me? I'll buy 6 if but would only probably want 3 if others want to take 3 of my hands. I'd probably go for the 5 one.

Offline Fat Alan

• Too many posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 01:29:39 PM »
go on then i'll go halves with ya
stoopid ankle

Offline James

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 01:42:02 PM »