Author Topic: Re: Why trips cost more than the price of a bed  (Read 1158 times)

Offline Novelty Matt

• Administrator
  • I need to get out more!
    • View Profile
Re: Why trips cost more than the price of a bed
« on: January 19, 2012, 08:24:13 AM »
Thought it was 13.50 for the bunker?  :?
It's 15.
purveyor of tat...

Offline BabyDunc

• Forum addict!
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Why trips cost more than the price of a bed
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 10:30:51 AM »
How? Usually with this sort of things the club gets a discount for booking in large numbers.  This discount isn't usually passed on to us but is kept by the club for gear, which is fine when that happens. But it seems strange in this case to raise the price for no apparent reason... I'm not the only one thinking this btw. 
I once ate a penguin

Offline Gerald

• USMC Committee '12
  • Forum addict!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 10:34:51 AM »
How? Usually with this sort of things the club gets a discount for booking in large numbers.  This discount isn't usually passed on to us but is kept by the club for gear, which is fine when that happens. But it seems strange in this case to raise the price for no apparent reason... I'm not the only one thinking this btw. 
A good few ppl are actually wondering this.....

Offline Novelty Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 12:21:29 PM »
How? Usually with this sort of things the club gets a discount for booking in large numbers.  This discount isn't usually passed on to us but is kept by the club for gear, which is fine when that happens. But it seems strange in this case to raise the price for no apparent reason... I'm not the only one thinking this btw.  
The club gets 0 discount on more or less every trip we go on.  You might assume we do but we don't, if you're not happy to give the club 1.50 for organising a trip please don't come.  We had the same issue in Swanage, people assumed I was 'ripping people off' by charging a fiver a night for the scout hut -guess what, it cost a fiver a night! It might have cost 2 less 5 years ago but I can't control what people charge this year!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 12:24:37 PM by Novelty Matt »
purveyor of tat...

Offline Rich

• Spam lord!
  • Feeling happy today
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 12:30:43 PM »
Im not that bothered about paying an extra couple of quid for someone else to organise a trip but it does seem a bit odd that its just started to happen now. Is the club really that short of funds for equipment?
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...But a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

Offline Novelty Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 12:35:35 PM »
It's more for rounding as much as anything mostly I'm really fed up with people being outrageously tight and trying to get everything for nothing.  

You'll also get unlimited tea, squash and biscuits.  Maybe filthy instant coffee as well, and some chocolate stuff.

For the record I think this is the first time EVER I've charged accommodation above cost, it really does make me wonder why I should bother wasting my time, quite frankly I have other things I could be doing at the moment.

If people didn't know the more the club makes the more funding it gets, it makes no money it gets no funding.  The club goes from rich to poor in the swoop of a year, it doesn't really matter what the club has in the bank currently, next year will probably be a different ball game (maybe Tennis)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 12:45:13 PM by Novelty Matt »
purveyor of tat...

Offline Fat Alan

• Too many posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 01:33:11 PM »
it's not something that's only just started. trip organisers quite often add a little bit here and there to get some money in the club account. the club randomly needs money when we accidently break stuff or need to pay for something the union doesn't want to fund. the easiest way to keep a bit of cash coming in is to charge a small amount extra for camping..

incidentally i think a lot of 'normal' clubs/socs charge members subs every time they go to a club night...
stoopid ankle

Offline nick

• USMC Commitee '07!
  • You can keep your hat on....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 01:58:09 PM »
As Al and Matt both said this is nothing new..... I used to regularly add a few quid to trips, mostly depending on what I thought I could get away with.  What really seems to go in cycles is people's understanding as to why (and if) this is done.  In years gone by a trip with 2 full buses (yes, this used to regularly happen!) would come home with a tidy profit or even help subsidise the cars going away (people never used to want to drive as it was more expensive).  In turn the profit could help to subsidise a trip where there were fewer people going or lots of drop outs or go towards buying new or replacing warn out gear.  Over the last 6 years there have also been quite large increases in the cost of using minibuses, something that has long been vital for helping new members get outside. 

I found people taking cars when there are spaces on the bus going in order to save a quid or 2 was the most frustrating problem when organising trips.  OK there are occasions when someone comes from a different place or at a different time when it is understandable.  People driving just because you can save a pound or two means everyone on the bus has to pay more for the empty seats... not cool. 

Additionally club food was always intended to make a trip cheaper.  On trips I ran there was no way I could have eaten as cheaply by buying for just myself.  If the meals are not to your taste why not volunteer to help out cooking??

In the past we have had annual funding as well as grants applications go through or be rejected on the basis of how active we are, both in terms of trips, number of paid up members and money raised for the club by the club.

Offline Weeman

• USMC Commitee '08!
  • Rock athlete
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 02:10:55 PM »
I'm fully behind Matt here too. We have ALWAYS charged a little extra for trips in one way or another. This is how most stuff gets bought. We get a budget for climbing gear and tents but not guidebooks or little replacement things/maintenance etc. Clearly this time Matt has chosen to add the cost to the accomodation because loads of people are driving themselves.

To avoid putting people off the trip its probably a good idea to split out all this bullshit into a seperate thread.
Many donkeys have tried to match wits with me, but almost all have failed.

Offline blondie

• Too many posts
  • Not Mr Tinsley
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 02:11:34 PM »
I used to make about 2 per day per person on every trip when I used to organise them, this came in very handy when things go wrong on trips like Alans fat arse going through a side window on the bus and fluffy putting petrol rather than diesel in the tank. :-)

Going in your own car may seem cheaper than the bus but it only needs you to have one accident in your car whilst on a trip and you will be paying increased insurance premiums for years, or a simple puncture could easily cost you 50, that's going to take a lot of trips in your car rather then the bus to get that money back.  

Stop complaining about how trips are run until you have tried running one yourself, it's not as easy as you might think.

Offline Gerald

• USMC Committee '12
  • Forum addict!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 02:18:37 PM »
Well thanks for explaining it Al and Nick, and I know it looks like some people are being tight but I think people have to remember that this is a student club where a large amount of the ppl going on trips need to save every penny they can as being a student forces you to be careful with your money.
And Chris and I were not complaining, we were simple asking where our money is going. I don't think there is any need to become so aggressive for simply asking a question. If your part of or have been part of the commitee then you should be well used to people asking questions.

Offline BabyDunc

• Forum addict!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 02:22:42 PM »
I take Nicks point and that's fine.  Now it's all explained there's no problem.  After all it is a very small amount of money away!  What I wanted to know was why we were being charged more than it actually cost, a reasonable request I thought, that has now been answered.  Thanks for explaining it Nick.

Matt: If you feel you have better things to do and get shitty when you're asked a simple question maybe you shouldn't run for trips officer next year.  Also telling me not to come on a trip cos I wanted to know how the thing was being funded is completely out of order.  Maybe, instead of treating us all like kids that wouldn't understand and giving us only the minimal amount of information, it would be more helpful just to be honest.  As for you being feed up of people being tight....  IT'S A STUDENT CLUB!!! We don't all have jobs, and just wandering where money is going is perfectly reasonable.  I am happy to pay the 15 but I really think you need to work on your manners in future.
I once ate a penguin

Offline Chris K

• USMC Commitee '10!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 02:44:54 PM »
Its a shame the bunker prices are online - you have no idea how much random stuff gets rounded upto nice numbers that come in notes. (or even rounded down sometimes!)

Offline Tor

• Master of bull!!
  • Blond Skank Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 03:33:45 PM »
WOW its a PMT day today! claws back people
Can't spell, won't spell

Offline Rich

• Spam lord!
  • Feeling happy today
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 03:53:17 PM »
Ah so basically everyone else has just been more sneaky than Matt  :lol:
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...But a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

Offline nick

• USMC Commitee '07!
  • You can keep your hat on....
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 04:15:32 PM »
or maybe everyone used to just be more drunk :D

Offline Gnomals

• Forum addict!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 04:20:50 PM »
Ahhhhh... bisto!  :queen:
You can't catch me! I'm a rubber duck....

Offline Gnat

• USMC Commitee '07!
  • Spam lord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 04:51:00 PM »
wow this thread has made my evening! Cat fight!!!!

Offline Fat Alan

• Too many posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 04:53:37 PM »
all we need is a good grade debate and it'll feel like ukc!
stoopid ankle

Offline Gnat

• USMC Commitee '07!
  • Spam lord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 04:54:29 PM »
Trads for gays!! yaaa