Author Topic: Club History  (Read 3421 times)

Offline RichardN

• USMC Committee '14
  • Master of bull!!
  • Mind like a cesspool, mouth like a drain.
    • View Profile
Club History
« on: August 29, 2012, 07:43:51 PM »
Izzy and I wanted to try and find out how old the club is. With the help of the forever surrey alumni people we've managed to get in touch with a load of old members.

The furthest back person I've managed to contact is: 1970 1966

I'll post below any emails I get here if anyone is interested to see any history of the club.

A lot of people have mentioned a guy called Arwell as someone who'd be worth contacting. If anyone has an email for him could they post it here?

Also does anyone know the name the club traded under when it was shut down? In fact can someone tell me that story properly? :P
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 08:09:58 PM by RichardN »
I am Nash, hear me roar

Offline RichardN

• USMC Committee '14
  • Master of bull!!
    • View Profile
Re: Club History
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 07:44:24 PM »
Hello to all current USMC members!

In answer to the question about how long the club has been running, it was already a well-established club at University of Surrey when I was a fresher in 1998-9.

I am still in contact via Facebook with some (former) USMC members, in fact I met my husband at the climbing wall, he was Club Secretary in 1999-00 (I was club secretary 2001-2).

We no longer climb unfortunately as we have enough to do with 3 children, but we did take our eldest to the annual dinner in 2005 (at nearly a year old) and to splosh in 2006 - our last appearance at club events.  We've since moved to Yorkshire.

I hope that someone else can give you more information about the club formation.  I know that there was a story that there was a time that the club was banned and went under a different name for that period.  I think Arwel Roberts may be someone you need to contact (if you haven't already) as he was already graduated when both myself and my husband were club members.... unfortunately I'm not in contact with him.

I wish you all the best in finding out when the club started.

Regards,

Jennifer (and Malcolm) Martin
I am Nash, hear me roar

Offline RichardN

• USMC Committee '14
  • Master of bull!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 07:48:06 PM »
The club was in existence in Autumn 1966 as I recall attending a trip to the Peak District for climbing on the gritstone cliffs. We travelled in a minibus that I think belonged to the college, but I can't remember the names of any of the other members.

Ray Willet
I am Nash, hear me roar

Offline RichardN

• USMC Committee '14
  • Master of bull!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 07:50:37 PM »
Hi Richard

Thanks for the email

I was at Surrey 73 77 and was a keen rock climber + Mountaineer and a member of SUMC (Surrey University Mountaineering Club)

Would be interested in hearing about any events etc

I also have lot of climbing photos from my time at Surrey

Regards

Laurence
I am Nash, hear me roar

Offline Tor

• Master of bull!!
  • Blond Skank Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 07:51:45 PM »
Arwel stuff of myth and ledgend... despite meeting him in person and staying at his house one squibble I still maintain he isn't real.

I believe Maggie is still on contact with Arwel - even though he's not real - she must be a wizard of sorts
Can't spell, won't spell

Offline RichardN

• USMC Committee '14
  • Master of bull!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 08:08:27 PM »
Arwel stuff of myth and ledgend... despite meeting him in person and staying at his house one squibble I still maintain he isn't real.

I believe Maggie is still on contact with Arwel - even though he's not real - she must be a wizard of sorts

Matt once described him to me as
"You know how blondie to you is some distant legend who only exists on the forum, well Arwel is like that to me"

I am Nash, hear me roar

Offline blondie

• Too many posts
  • Not Mr Tinsley
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 08:26:29 PM »
Arwel had left uni when I started uni in 1995 but was still climbing with the club, my first experience climbing outside was seconding him up some route on Hen Cloud in the peaks :-)

Offline Clairey

• Master of bull!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 08:42:41 PM »
Arwel is on facebook so should be easy enough to get in touch with!   He's 9 years older than me, so was probably at uni from 1988ish

Offline Gnat

• USMC Commitee '07!
  • Spam lord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 08:50:43 PM »

Matt once described him to me as
"You know how blondie to you is some distant legend who only exists on the forum, well Arwel is like that to me"

= one Facebook like

Offline RichardN

• USMC Committee '14
  • Master of bull!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 08:59:13 PM »
Arwel is on facebook so should be easy enough to get in touch with!   He's 9 years older than me, so was probably at uni from 1988ish

What's his surename?
I am Nash, hear me roar

Offline Clairey

• Master of bull!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 09:08:02 PM »
Arwel Roberts

Offline Fat Alan

• Too many posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 07:57:51 AM »
stoopid ankle

Offline Weeman

• USMC Commitee '08!
  • I need to get out more!
  • Rock athlete
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 08:25:47 AM »
= one Facebook like

get out

I agree!! But good work Rich, interesting stuff!! I remember a few years ago Bob found out that the chairman of Rolls Royce used to run the club back in the 70's. Might be worth asking him about that.
Many donkeys have tried to match wits with me, but almost all have failed.

Offline RichardN

• USMC Committee '14
  • Master of bull!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 08:34:42 AM »
= one Facebook like

get out

I agree!! But good work Rich, interesting stuff!! I remember a few years ago Bob found out that the chairman of Rolls Royce used to run the club back in the 70's. Might be worth asking him about that.

I've got the email address for the man at rolls royce from Dr Danger, I've sent him an email awaiting a reply.
I am Nash, hear me roar

Offline RichardN

• USMC Committee '14
  • Master of bull!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 08:42:51 AM »
Hi Richard.

I was a member of the club from 94 to 98.

I'm fairly local and still climbing so would be interested in a meet.

I'm not sure when the club was founded but it had been around a while when I joined.
I'd be interested to hear you're the club is doing.

Joe

Joe McCarthy-Holland
I am Nash, hear me roar

Offline Chris K

• USMC Commitee '10!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 09:10:53 AM »
Remember that 1966 was the year the University became the university of surrey. Before that it was in Battersea.

Offline Evil

• Master of bull!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 09:20:15 AM »

I remember getting into many good scrapes with Arwel back int the day :-)
It wasn't me - it was Blondie!

Offline Fraggle

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 09:23:34 AM »
I still see Arwel around, met him randomly at the wall in Bristol recently, next time I walk to him will let you know what he says. Do you have a standard email you are sending to these people Richard?

Offline RichardN

• USMC Committee '14
  • Master of bull!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 10:35:08 AM »
Remember that 1966 was the year the University became the university of surrey. Before that it was in Battersea.

I knew it was around that time , I'm wondering if the club is in fact older than the university. Also Battersea graduates are included in the forever surrey thing so if any of them provided emails they'll have got our message.
I am Nash, hear me roar

Offline RichardN

• USMC Committee '14
  • Master of bull!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 10:39:02 AM »
I still see Arwel around, met him randomly at the wall in Bristol recently, next time I walk to him will let you know what he says. Do you have a standard email you are sending to these people Richard?

Yeah I'm telling them how far back I've so far managed to trace and then putting:

During term time we meet on Tuesday evenings at the surrey sports park (Richard Meyjes Road, Guildford) which is the universities new (2 years old) 36m sports centre.We climb there from about 7:30. And also on a Wednesday afternoon from about 3pm.
The club still runs the traditional Easter trip to Cornwall (Splosh) , summer trip to Europe (Splat-Ailfroide this time) , Font, and Annual Dinner. We currently list about 70 members and recently won an award called the Barry Hitchcock trophy for most sustainable club. This is testimony to how consistently the club has been run over the years and how well committee's hand over to one another. Also one member this year got the full colours award from the Union , another got Half colours. Both of these are awards which take years of work and demonstrate a high ability of climbing , regular attendance of trips , personal development through award schemes (CWA , 1st Aid etc) and finally service on the committee. We are hoping to focus on the colours awards with the intake of 2011 to see an increase in the number awarded.
Our committee this year is largely made up of second year students as the previous committee all graduated or went on placement.

We run a website which we use as a forum but also contains some photos, links , and other assorted bits of information about the club if you'd like to browse. www.surreyclimbs.co.uk

The Surrey climbs page is often updated with news about trips in an area that can be seen by members of the public. If any catch your eye let us know , it'd be nice to see you at a crag.

Regards
Richard Nash
Chairman
I am Nash, hear me roar