Author Topic: Club History  (Read 3420 times)

Offline Novelty Matt

• Administrator
  • I need to get out more!
    • View Profile
Re: Club History
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2012, 10:45:41 AM »
I'm sure someone said some high up person (like CEO) of Rolls Royce used to be preseident...
purveyor of tat...

Offline RichardN

• USMC Committee '14
  • Master of bull!!
  • Mind like a cesspool, mouth like a drain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2012, 11:06:50 AM »
I'm sure someone said some high up person (like CEO) of Rolls Royce used to be preseident...

I believe he may have retired , his Rolls Royce email address no longer works...
I am Nash, hear me roar

Offline Jennifer Martin

• Far too much free time!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 01:13:41 PM »
*emerges from under a rock*

LOL @ post... ROFL that my login STILL works on this forum 10 years after I graduated... (yes, OK the forum isn't THAT old, but still)

Yep, Richard's email reminded me you all have a forum LOL (now I spend far too much time on Facebook, or playing "World of Tanks" - no climbing or beer-swilling sessions for us  :( Three boys - and their related homework - take up too much of our time)

Now I know my login still works, I might check in from time to time to see how you guys (and fellow old farts) are doing   :wink:  *hides under rock again*

EDIT: You can tell how long it's been when there's a pic of my 8yr old and 5yr old as my avatar :o
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 01:20:53 PM by Jennifer Martin »

Offline blondie

• Too many posts
  • Not Mr Tinsley
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2012, 01:46:08 PM »
how come I didn't get an email :-(

Offline Chris K

• USMC Commitee '10!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2012, 01:52:21 PM »
how come I didn't get an email :-(

too old to be able to remember the history of the club

Offline blondie

• Too many posts
  • Not Mr Tinsley
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2012, 03:19:26 PM »
ok just checked my Google mail and I do have an email :-)

Offline nacnud

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2012, 03:22:45 PM »
I think I got surrey to delete my email. I have a folder somewhere with the original 'on the rocks' artwork in it and some other stuff from the early '90s
I yam a tetrapod!

Offline Stick

• Vicky the nurse
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2012, 04:58:21 PM »
Paul Jolley may well still have the designs for the fat face tops too.

Offline Izzy

• USMC Committee '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2012, 01:49:32 PM »
Dear Richard

Thanks for your email regarding the Surrey mountaineering club. I was a member from 1967 to 1970 and was treasurer for a time. I have quite a few photos from this time and have recently been scanning them to store on computer. I also kept a record of most of the climbing weekends I went on which I still have. There were not many members in those days so we usually went on climbing weekends with members of the City University climbing club to make up 12 people to fill the minibus. I will get together all the details I have and some of the pictures and let you have copies. If I seem to be taking a long time to be getting them to you please feel free to email me a gentle reminder!

Best wishes

Tony

Offline Izzy

• USMC Committee '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2012, 01:50:38 PM »
We got a lovely long one from a Martyn Thomas!...

Hi Richard,

when I joined USMC in my first year in 1985 (!!) the club was already
well established.  On my first weekend trip I met a guy who graduated
in 1983 and so I presume the club was alive and well in the late 70s.
Earlier than that I can't tell you much.

In those days I suspect the club, or at least the climbing wall, was
quite a lot different.  In the summer of 1989 "The Tube", "The Slab"
and "The Traverse" were all built using the newly invented moulded
concrete.  These all came about due to the efforts of a Physics PhD
student called Dave Coley.  Ironically, after 8 years of climbing a
bare brick wall he finally got the uni/sports hall to build a better
facility and it was completed 2 weeks after he left !
The end squash court was converted into a climbing room, a few years
after I left (I don't know exactly when - early 90s ish).  This was
all a long time before Craggy Island or Surrey Sports park.  We
occasionally organised trips to Brunel Uni if we wanted some mid week
variety.

Dave was also the main organiser of the summer holiday trips.  The
"Splat" trips, as they were known ?  Do you still do those ?  They
started in 1986 with a week long trip to Lundy and became gradually
more adventurous.  We went to the Verdon, Picos, Dolomites, Alps,
Montserrat, Pyrenees and a load of different crags in France.

I've attached two photos.   Splat99 was taken near at Arco near Lake
Garda in 1999. I'm the tallest guy with the ridiculous mountain
glasses on the blue bus.  My wife is in the yellow tee shirt on the
white bus.  The upside down guy was the chairman at the time.  (a side
story)  Can you still see the yellow footprints painted on the side of
one of the houses in Surrey Court ?  As you walk past the Senate steps
towards the union ?  He painted those ! Anyway ...
The other photo is of me climbing something (E1 ish) in The Val di
Mello, in Italy, also in 1999.

I mentioned my wife.  I'm still in contact with many climbing club
people from that era and I can think of seven other pure climbing club
couples.  We used to have re-unions every year but these gradually
became less frequent and we haven't had one for 4 years.  One reason
is that most of us have kids and don't climb any more.  Having said
that, the climbing club was by far the most important part of my 4
years at Surrey.

I'll pass your mail on to the others I'm still in contact with.

Regards,
Martyn Thomas

Offline Izzy

• USMC Committee '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2012, 01:56:20 PM »
Image courtesy of Martyn Thomas

Offline Izzy

• USMC Committee '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2012, 02:02:38 PM »
Image courtesy of Martyn Thomas

Offline Izzy

• USMC Committee '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2012, 02:18:29 PM »
1. Some of us do still climb. The coley's got back from the Pyrenees today. And I had a great time in the Rockies last month. Next month I should be in yosmite. Sorry to those with real jobs.
2. The first mini splats were to cornwall at Easter and organised by mike beresford. We used his family camper van.
3. I think mike also organised the Lundy splat. I would have been too full of LSD and magic mushrooms at the time.
4.  The big change I can remember was that when I first turned up at surrey the club was much more every man from himself.  People were naturally in pairs and all male. Each pair cooked by themselves, tented and climbed together. Jon Catt and I had a background in scouting and this led to the the club being more than cheap transport with shared climbing, cooking and open to all. This enabled a more diverse membership and a crash in climbing standards.
5. I don't think I organised much when I was there. I was never on the committee. If anything, I was just head of creative accounting. But that is best discussed off line.
6. Kieran emailed me a few days ago saying we should have an old boys and girls get together. As he owns a campsite, this could if he is up for it be open to all ex and present members.

-David Coley

Offline Izzy

• USMC Committee '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2012, 02:18:56 PM »
Wow what a great collection of memories.

Given I arrived shortly after Martyn in 87 I don't have much to add - other than the splat trip in the picture is 89 not 99 - can we really be that old...

They were undoubtedly the highlight of the year - along with annual dinners that will remain etched on my brain for the rest of my life.

I would dispute Dave's point 5 - I think he organised almost everything albeit in an unofficial capacity.

And finally no conversation about USMC would be complete without mention of the iconic limited edition T-Shirts - many of which I still have. I hope a tradition of creative silliness that has lasted a few decades.

My son(15) wants me to take him climbing - if only I could remember how?

Jeremy King

Offline Izzy

• USMC Committee '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2012, 02:19:39 PM »
I arrived at Surrey in 1980 and the club was on its arse Wrt numbers. Although the following year with Dave Coley and John Catt and Bob Booth it started to pick up. A good mate of mine Tony Pickett, a Phd  student and I went to the alps in 83 and Tony spun some dits on how the club in good old USMC fashion did some necky climbs. And on more than one occasion got themselves in the mire. The club in the mid 70s was nails, they were doing a lot in the Alps, Frendo Spur 1976, the rebuffet route on the Midi, 1975, and route major on the Brenva Face of Mnt Blanc 1977. 
Paul Morris

Offline Rich

• Spam lord!
  • Feeling happy today
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2012, 03:15:44 PM »
We got a lovely long one from a Martyn Thomas!...

The end squash court was converted into a climbing room, a few years
after I left (I don't know exactly when - early 90s ish).

Oh dear, I remember when the squash court was still a squash court
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...But a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

Offline Dunny

• USMC Commitee '08!
  • Master of bull!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2012, 05:15:53 PM »
Wow.  This is really cool guys.  Well done.

You should create a book and sell it to raise funds for the club.  If you keep the price right / take pre-orders / put plenty of old photos in it then I am sure people would buy it.  ....maybe stick a few old Barefacts / The Stag articles in there too!

I have just logged on to explain what I know about the story of the club closing down.  However, bare in mind that I am not that old so it was already just a legend by the time I arrived!

I understand that it was Freshers week, and a publicity stunt for the club which caused the issues!  I understand that the committee put their harnesses on and attached themselves to the roof of a minibus - Driving around campus to advertise the club.  Unfortunately the mini bus went too fast around the corner and the roof rack sheered off of the roof of the bus. I don't think anybody was badly hurt, however, the Student Union did not approve - consequently leading to the closure of the club.

Shortly after this, the circus skills (or something like that!) society was formed.  Many of the old climbing club members joined this club. .....whilst they were practising 'circus skills' and playing with poi - plans for climbing trips were formulated!!

As I say, this may not be exactly what happened - It was just a story which was told in approx 2005.  If you want more detail then it might be worth speaking to the really old farts. ....like Blondie!! and Rich!
Loose rock, grass and incoming tides all add to the enjoyment!!

Your not climbing hard enough unless you have to change your underware before you go to bed!

Offline Stick

• Vicky the nurse
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2012, 07:13:39 PM »
Dunc seemed to know the story. was post trip taking the bus back to the carpark. cause a few broken bones but no deaths (and a broken minibus). I believe this is why Dunc spent used to spend alot of time on a unicycle.

Offline nacnud

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2012, 11:48:49 PM »
I know the ledgend but I wasn't around when it happened. If was a fair few years before me late 80s maybe early 90s. Anyway the result was that the USMC was banned from using busses for a while. At the time juggling, diablo etc was very popular. Similar to how slack lining is today. So a new socity was formed, the University of Surrey Busking And Street Entertainment Socity or USBASES. A committee was formed, monies were perloined from the union and equipment purchase - unicycles, juggling clubs, fire clubs, rings etc.

For a while it even organised trips to juggling conventions in far off places like the Peak, Wales, Bristol etc. especially while the USMC was banned from using the busses

USBASES used to meet once a week or so in order for people to throw things at each other but after a while it faded out. I found all the kit in a cupboard under what is now the union dance floor and tried to restart the club in the mid 90s but it never really took off and I was more interested in climbing.

You really need to talk to bob and otter to find out the details, maybe Arwell or Dave Bond (he'd be good to contact) or Dave Booth
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 11:51:36 PM by nacnud »
I yam a tetrapod!

Offline nacnud

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2012, 11:59:14 PM »
I really think you should take Dave Collie up on the ex usmc get together thing. Nottingham Uni club had people well into their 60s attending there version of the annual dinner.

Perhaps an old farts meet some time.....
I yam a tetrapod!